Call for Applications to VSP Teaching Fellow position
The VISUAL STUDIES PLATFORM (VSP) in collaboration with the Institute for Advanced Study at Central European University (IAS CEU) invite applications for a four month VSP Fellowship for the Academic Year 2018/2019. The residential fellowship is offered on a competitive basis to a junior scholar whose research engages innovatively with various visual media including photography, film, new media, animation and other digital technologies.
VSP is an interdisciplinary initiative designed to explore and promote innovative approaches to research and teaching visual imagery in the humanities and social sciences and foster expertise in this area across the university. Potential candidates are encouraged to check the VSP website and contact VSP for more information.
IAS CEU is a university-based institute for advanced study. It provides a stimulating environment in which fellows can devote themselves to research and share their work with peers through weekly seminars and other community programs.
Duties and responsibilities:
The fellow will teach one 2-credit course in Fall or Winter 2018/19 (September-December or January-April) in the Visual Theory and Practice Advanced Certificate Program that is open to all students of the university. CEU offers programs in the Social Sciences and Humanities, and students pursuing the Visual Theory and Practice Certificate may be enrolled in any department of the university, with their particular research area having a strong visual component. In addition to teaching the course, the successful candidate is expected to mentor graduate students working with visual media, to help advance the development of visual studies at CEU, and to be involved with VSP and IAS activities.
The fellowship includes:
The teaching fellow receives gross 6321 EUR for the teaching assignment for 3 months and 1500 EUR research grant for 1 month (the total duration of residence is 4 months). VSP provides accommodation for the teaching fellow at the Wallenberg Guesthouse upon availability. In case Guesthouse accommodation is not available, VSP contributes additional 500 EUR monthly towards housing costs on the basis of rental contract. VSP also provides shared office space at CEU premises upon availability and support from the Visual Studies Platform and CEU Mirabeau Media Lab. Awarded fellows are responsible for their own travel arrangements, health insurance, and maintenance costs. Fellows are required to be in continuous residence for the duration of the scholarship.
- university degree in visual culture, film studies, digital media or related fields (PhD level)
- recognized scholarly and professional work
- demonstrated successful graduate-level teaching experience
- ability to contribute to curriculum development for visual studies
- fluency in English
- a comprehensive CV with 2 references
- a cover letter which indicates their research plans during the residence and intended contribution to the Visual Studies Platform activities and curriculum
- a document which describes a research project to be developed while in residence at CEU (max 1,500 words)
- a proposed course syllabus to be taught as part of the Visual Theory and Practice curriculum
Informal enquiries may be addressed to email@example.com.