Call for Applications to the "Basics of Documentary Filmmaking Workshop" (Winter/spring 2018)
The CEU Library is organizing a documentary filmmaking workshop open to CEU PhD students, faculty and staff, and any other members of the CEU community not eligible to sign up for the for-credit CEU filmmaking courses that utilize the resources of the Library’s Mirabaud Media Lab, and who will apply the filmmaking skills learned in the workshop directly in their research or scholarly activities.
The workshop consists of seven sessions over eight weeks, on Mondays
Workshop dates: March 18 – April 15, April 29 - May 6
Location: CEU Library’s Mirabaud Media Lab, N15 504
Working in small groups, participants complete a series of increasingly complex exercises, culminating in a final exercise that replicates a short documentary film. Participants obtain a grounding in the craft of documentary production, and the creation of moving images, including fundamental skills that they can apply to projects in their respective research, and beyond. The workshop is intended for participants who can use moving images, especially documentary-style media, as part of their research or scholarly activities, or to promote those activities.
Each class session covers a different element of the filmmaking process, including idea development and planning, cinematography, sound and editing, and consists of lectures on relevant concepts, screening of film examples, and practical instruction on equipment, with the last session reserved for a screening and critique of the work produced in the course. Assignments include readings, viewing of film examples, and hands-on exercises, completed outside of class.
- No prior experience in filmmaking is necessary, but a knowledge of the Mac Operating System is strongly recommended.
- The workshop is not intended for CEU MA students, who can enroll in one of the for-credit filmmaking courses.
- Please be able to attend all sessions, they are all essential, so please check your schedule and make sure you can attend before you apply.
- No equipment is necessary, all will be provided by the Library’s Mirabaud Media Lab.
How to Apply
There are a limited number of seats, participants will be selected based on the degree to which the application fulfills the aims of the course. Please send an email including the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with doc workshop application + your name in the subject line:
- Your (short) CV
- A 1-2 page letter of application addressing your rationale for taking the course, specifically how filmmaking fits into your research/scholarship, and how you can use the skills gained through this course accordingly. Please also include a brief summary of any prior experience in filmmaking (none is necessary).
Deadline for applications: February 8th
Results will be communicated by: February 22nd
Instructor: Jeremy Braverman, Media & Visual Education Specialist, CEU Library
Please note that this program cannot be taken for credit.